3 Sep 20140 Comments
Jillian of Dakota Essence started another Mug Rug Swap way back in January this year, but something must have happened as there haven’t been any updates from her since February. I hope she is okay!
I signed up for this immediately, even though I already had several projects on the boil, because these are fun little projects that have quite a few benefits. They’re fast because they’re small and they offer low-risk opportunities to experiment with new shapes and techniques.
I can’t seem to find my sketch ideas. I remember drawing them, too! But here is my cheat sheet:
Pieces printed and cut, ready to sew:
Quilting in progress. Apparently I didn’t take a photo of the top before I trimmed, sandwiched and basted it. You can see my freehanded quilt markings. Also quilted in the ditch.
I decided to add some embroidery in keeping with the candy theme. Used the same perle 8 thread that I had bought for the Irish Chain Variation quilt. Yes, I used this mug rug to test out that idea here. This my test of stem stitch before I tried, and opted for, the backstitch. I ended up using chain stitch on the big quilt!
The completed mug rug:
My Mug Rug swap partner was the lovely Janet and she sent me this gem:
I love the button cherry! And the other side:
And it came wrapped inside this:One day, I think I’m going to make one of the projects in here!