I should be making new clothes for myself (Liesl + Co is 25% off today!) or for the kid, or sorting my scraps, or finishing a quilt that was started for someone not in my life anymore. Should. But my sister has been waiting for her promised quilt for a decade now. So I’m prepping to print Storm at Sea using red and black fabrics for a scrappy look.
Something like this:
Mocked up in EQ7, this measures 83 x 92 inches, including a one inch and 3 inch border and using the 9″ Storm at Sea Inklingo collection.
I signed up for the Curves class by Rachel through her Stitched in Color blog and the Clamshell Pillow is one of the many projects in the class. I haven’t had time to do anywhere near all of them, but I was determined to do at least this pillow! And definitely the Scallop Quilt.
Anyway, I already had a pillow insert but it’s 65 x 65cm, not the size in her pattern, so I used EQ7 to test the pattern on a larger pillow. I used the clamshell template as provided and increased the number to fill almost half the area of the pillow.
I tried out a few color configurations.
And ultimately decided on the bottom one. Looking at them together, the first doesn’t look a lot different from the last!
First row sewn, second row glued down. So much easier than pins!
Close-up of the gluing.All rows sewn down! Very happy with the result. And the zips arrived in the mail the day before, so no excuses attempting the finish!The finished piece!Not quite invisible, but good enough for first attempt!And another close-up for good measure.
Work has been keeping me busy and exhausted! But that didn’t stop me from translating this image from a Quiltmaker email into an Inklingo-able quilt!
The block measures 16″ because the orange peel collection contains a 4″ unit, making the center block 8″. The 4″ HST is available in the 12″ Storm At Sea collection and the centre triangle can be made by cutting 8.5″ rectangles and sewing the printed triangles to them. The sashing is 4×16″ finished with 4″ squares, which are found in the orange peel collections AND the 12″ Storm at Sea!
I’m making my through the embroidery on the Irish chain wedding quilt. Yes, the transfer method worked reasonably well, and look, here is a picture of my joining the dots!
I’m also making my way through the Winding Ways but progress on both have been seriously impacted by tiredness from busy, busy days at work.
My projects keep multiplying but my free time seems to be halving. Gah!
So this skirt is finally done! It basically took a year from receiving it. The facets pattern is great, but there are a lot of shapes to sew around and cut out. My next Alabama project will be to attempt airbrushing and making another tank dress. I definitely need more of those!
I got the go-ahead on this design, so now I’m busy working out fabric requirements and cost. At the moment, purchasing materials for this quilt will have to wait until next year, but she wants to go scrappy, so this will be fun!
As far as the Winding Ways baby quilt, I’m planning to buy fabric for that soon, though I’m considering ordering from overseas if I decide to go down the designer fabrics. They are more than twice the price in Australia, and shipping doesn’t really justify the jump!
So I decided to add an extra row in each direction to bring the quilt up to 63″ x 63″ in size. This makes it a nice throw and allows the quilt to be useful beyond the crib. I am really enjoying the look of this design and I think I’ll buy fabric as close to this as possible, so that will be four fabrics each in purples and creams.
I didn’t have the cheat sheet with me, so I made up a temp version.
Based on my calculations, a yard of each color will cover the requirements nicely.
I have decided! This is the next baby quilt I’ll be making. Isn’t it adorable!? I’ll be going shopping for fabrics tomorrow. I looked at all the sales in the US, but once you add shipping, the costs just blow way out. So, off to Spotlight I go.
Also, I finished cutting the last panel of the Alabama Chanin skirt! Next step will be sewing it together into an actual skirt! Woohoo!
So here is yet ANOTHER quilt that is in the design process. I know the following things: Storm at sea and the colors red and black. I’m assuming a few other things like that it should be queen size to suit my sister’s bed and that grey will be acceptable. However, a two-tone quilt could work, too. Let’s see…
It’s very dramatic. I prefer a scrappy quilt myself, but I do like the simple and bold quilts, too. This design uses the 9″ Storm At Sea Inkling collection.
The Hunters Star baby quilt is washed and drying on the rack. I’ll take some photos of it tomorrow. In the meantime, my thoughts have turned to the next baby quilt for another friend. After browsing quilts on Pinterest and the internet, I decided to grab the EQ7 file that Linda has thoughtfully provided. The above quilt measures 50″x50″ using the Inklingo collection and including the border. If the quilt were to end with the outer rings, I suppose it would measure 30″x30″.
Fat Quarter Shop had this pattern in their latest email and it inspired me to create the above. It uses a 4.5″ HST from the 12″ Hunters Star collection and 4.5″ sashing. The border consists of equilateral triangles and 60 degree diamonds, but I’m not sure of their measurement at this time. It can easily be made without the border though.
Edit: Looking at the Storm at Sea 12″ collection, it seems like the border could easily be made using a 4″ border!