So about a decade ago, I ordered this kit from Alabama Chanin. It is still unfinished and to distract myself from starting new projects, I’m looking at it again. The original design was allover Le Moyne stars, but I’ve departed from that idea before. I reopened my EQ file and I’ve settled on this design.
The more I look at this, the more I like it and I think it’ll be enough to get it finished. After finishing my Christmas makes. And after finishing the Storm At Sea. And maybe I’ll try and fit it in between all the other things..
Yeah. Because it’s not enough to make the blanket according to the original instructions. And actually, because I opted to use Inklingo to create the shapes, it’s already different and adding a few more of my own choices make the blanket truly my own. Right? Right!So I recreated the original pattern in EQ7 so I could try a few tweaks. This uses the 6″ Le Moyne star collection and measures out to 62″ x 80″.
Ideas I had in mind included a medallion, like the carpenters Star, Waltzing Matilda star, or the Inklingo star. But the medallion looked too small at 12″, So I tried a 12″ block in each corner in addition to one in the center.
Then it occurred to me to try reversing the colours so that the blocks were more obvious.
So last year, there was a sale on some DIY kits at Alabama Chanin and I just couldn’t resist ordering the swing skirt. I chose peacock fabric and slate thread. I’ve sewn the first panel (out of four), and have just started to cut out the centers. Three more to go and a mystery quilt on top of that!!
I really need more hours in the day for all my projects!