A place for all my crafty things

Showing: 1 - 10 of 77 RESULTS
EQ7 Inklingo Quilting

Clamshell quilt

I’m planning two quilts for my boy. A clamshell and a compass star quilt. I’ve made a start on the clamshell because it will be a smaller “baby” quilt even though he is more kid than toddler these days.

I started off with this print that I bought last year and added some homespun colours.

Then, with his obvious attraction to Spider-man, I added a couple of those fabrics plus a red to unify the look. I didn’t take a photo of the fabric choices, but I did take one of my final layout after printing and cutting out all the shapes.

My Electric Quilt layout test:

All the shapes cut after printing on fabric with Inklingo:

My final layout:

Sewing

Time in a bottle

How is it already October?! My last update was quite a while ago. I need to figure out how to post automatically from Instagram so that it doesn’t happen again!

I’m working on several different projects, but here’s an update on the Advent Calendar. I have 16 ornaments decorated with sequins and beads. Eight to go and the only thing left to do will be to sew on magnets to the ornaments and jump rings to the tree.

I ended up buying an assorted colours bag of 4mm sequins and sorted out about a third into their colours. It was really cheap this way, but labor-intensive.

The pattern suggests pins to attach the ornaments, but I like the idea of magnets. I bought some tiny neodymium magnets earlier this year to make magnets out of buttons that my kid liked.

More updates to come soon!

Sewing

Advent Calendar progress

I decided to order some 4mm flat sequins, so when they finally arrive from China (hopefully within a month), I’ll start embellishing!

Sewing

Advent Calendar start


So I started making this advent calendar in the last week of November. As if there was even the slightest chance I would have it done in time for Christmas 2017! But at least it’ll be ready for Christmas this year. Better late than never?

Other instagrammed photos of progress:

Crochet

Crochet again!

As I sit here on the train, I realised it has really been a long time since my last post. So I thought I would a least post a couple of my recent finishes. 

Some time after the first season of Outlander aired and the internet was abuzz over the show, Lion Brand released some patterns inspired by the costumes. I bought two and then forgot about them until LB decided to update their website. The change meant that purchases would be lost, so they forwarded the patterns to my email. I’m procrastinating starting the next quilt, so it was a great opportunity to make something for myself, haha. 

The first one I made was this cowl/infinity scarf. Ah, I see they’re calling it an infinity cowl. It was a lot of fun working with a chunky yarn!

The second pattern was for wristlets. I put in a space for my thumb but I’m considering sewing it up as it just makes my thumbs feel extra cold. They’re a little scrunched up in my photo, but they really do look like the pattern photo, I swear!

EQ7 Inklingo

Indigo Star Variations

Yeah. Because it’s not enough to make the blanket according to the original instructions. And actually, because I opted to use Inklingo to create the shapes, it’s already different and adding a few more of my own choices make the blanket truly my own. Right? Right!So I recreated the original pattern in EQ7 so I could try a few tweaks. This uses the 6″ Le Moyne star collection and measures out to 62″ x 80″.


Ideas I had in mind included a medallion, like the carpenters Star, Waltzing Matilda star, or the Inklingo star. But the medallion looked too small at 12″, So I tried a 12″ block in each corner in addition to one in the center. 
Then it occurred to me to try reversing the colours so that the blocks were more obvious.

I still haven’t decided what I’m going to do!

Sewing

Liesl and Co. Maritime knit top

I finally squeezed in the time to make this shirt. As I learned with the Oliver + S Secret Agent Coat, the instructions were excellent and I didn’t have to unpick any seams. One thing that wasn’t clear, but only because my experience with sewing knits is minimal, was whether I should be sewing with a stretch stitch or straight stitch. Of course, if I had read the instructions all the way through before starting, I would have seen that stretch stitch is specified when required. Sigh. So I have stretch stitches where I didn’t need them, but that’s not a disaster on my first try. 

I had intended to reverse these colours, but I underestimated my yardage. The short sleeves are fine, but I think the three-quarter sleeves will be more flattering. I also did my first full bust adjustment and while I think the dart is a little low, I think it worked out over all. 
I’ll definitely make more when I can squeeze some more time out!

Uncategorized

This thing called boro

This style of mending seems to be trending at the moment. The Japanese call it Boro and it seems looks to be related to sashiko. When the boy tore his pants, I saw an opportunity to try my hand at it. I put a piece of cotton jersey behind the tear and blanket stitched the edges to the jersey. Then I outlined the patch with a running stitch to secure the patch. I finished off with running stitches  quilting the patch to the pant. 

I’m really quite pleased with the result!

Follow Me!