72 nine inch blocks completed! I got a notification from my photo app that i started printing the shapes on fabric FOUR YEARS AGO. It’s fine. We’re here now and I’ve already begun sewing the first row together.
I’ve stalled a bit on this quilt, so decided I needed to see what the final top would look like. I laid out most of the completed blocks on the spare bed to get an idea.
Laying it out helped a lot. I like the way it’s looking. For a while there, I wasn’t sure it would look sharp, that the fabrics would just mush together, but I think it sparkles!
I have about twenty more blocks to go and then I lay it out fully to ensure not too many fabrics are next to themselves. Then it’s sewing into rows and the rows into a top!
I just remembered that I think I planned to add a border as well… it might have to be pieced. I don’t think there is enough fabric left.
I’m planning two quilts for my boy. A clamshell and a compass star quilt. I’ve made a start on the clamshell because it will be a smaller “baby” quilt even though he is more kid than toddler these days.
I started off with this print that I bought last year and added some homespun colours.
Then, with his obvious attraction to Spider-man, I added a couple of those fabrics plus a red to unify the look. I didn’t take a photo of the fabric choices, but I did take one of my final layout after printing and cutting out all the shapes.
My October deadline is looming, but I put my head down and got the quilting done! And the binding made and machine-sewn on! You can still see the blue lines I drew for the inner circles of quilting. Can’t find my spray bottle, so I’ll soak it in cold water after I sew down the binding to the other side. I decided to use the fabrics from the top to make a scrappy-ish binding instead of the backing fabric.
I’m in the middle of quilting my applecore baby quilt and it is coming along nicely. I decided to echo quilt in one direction which is great because I don’t have to mark it!
Hopefully, I’ll be done with the quilting in the next couple of weeks and onto the task of binding!